BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Just Putting It All Out There

Today, as I'm thinking through the 500 for $500,000 campaign that we are currently in the midst of here at First Glance, I'm feeling a little reflective. I'm going to be honest and maybe even a little vulnerable.

For me, asking people for money is hard. I can write grants or call businesses all day long, but when things get personal, at a one-on-one level, I get nervous. I don't want to overstep boundaries or put someone out. I can always justify in my head why someone wouldn't want/need to give.

Part of this, I think, stems from my own personal struggle with giving. When I first started earning my own money, I gave to the church but mostly out of obligation. And I always hated sermons on tithing. Not sure if I felt guilty or maybe just distrusted the church, but I guess I didn't know exactly what it takes to run a nonprofit organization. (I know now, and believe me—it takes a lot.)

My last year of college, I started going to a church that I adored. They were very open about finances, and I was older and a little more understanding. I never minded discussing giving there. I loved the people, the pastor, and what the church stood for, which led me to actually WANT to give versus just doing so out of obligation.

It seemed that I was somewhat overcoming the struggle of giving when I was introduced to the struggle of having to ask other people for money. It is very humbling and more difficult that I thought when I took this job. Honestly, I thought I would do more impersonal asking—businesses, churches, mass groups of people, etc. But I soon learned that personally asking individuals was a lot more productive.

Then Noelle (the executive director) mentioned to me how she approached fundraising. She said that by asking people to give, she was giving them the opportunity to be a part of God's work here at First Glance. It is a privilege to be able to give, knowing that God is using those gifts to change the lives of people in this community. Hungry kids are being fed. Students whose parents could care less about them are being loved, so why wouldn't people want to be a part of that?

I try to remember this as I give now, be it to First Glance or a church or to a friend looking to go into mission work. I should not worry about my money or where it is going, but be thankful that God is giving me such an easy way be a part of His work.

I truly believe that you can "bear good fruit" just by being willing to write someone a check. When you give to an organization like First Glance, you ARE adding to God's kingdom. You ARE affecting lives for eternity.

So Facebook friends and family members, be warned. Even as I work through what it means to give in my own life, I will be asking you to do the same. I will be asking you to join me in seeing that giving is a privilege.

Now campaign plug: If you would like a place to begin giving or even give a little extra, First Glance is a great place to start. We are in the middle of a campaign to raise $500,000 that will cover a large portion of our expenses for THREE YEARS! (3 years. Seriously. Long time.) By reaching our goal, we will be able to focus more on the ministry and worry less about raising the needed funds. We are encouraging 500 people to commit just $28 a month (less than $1 a day, except non-leap year Februarys where it would equal $1/day. haha), but any amount is incredibly helpful. Plus, by giving you WILL be adding to His kingdom! (FOUR students became believers just in the 8 weeks I was gone for maternity leave!!)


0 comments: